Recap: Governance as Code Day with Cloud Custodian 2021
Last week, Stacklet hosted the first-ever Governance as Code Day with Cloud Custodian. The event provided an opportunity for project maintainers, contributors, and users to meet (at least virtually) and learn about the latest innovations in the project. Participants also shared experiences on how Cloud Custodian is being used in the real world to strengthen security, meet compliance needs, and optimize cost and operational efficiency. The event was packed with excellent content, featuring speakers from Amazon, Code42, Fidelity Investments, GFT, HBO Max, JPMorgan Chase, Premise Data, Stacklet, and Zapier.
Governance as code is a new paradigm that enables organizations to use code to manage and automate various aspects of governance, including cost, operations, security, and compliance. Cloud Custodian, a CNCF sandbox project, is at the forefront of the governance as code movement. With over a million downloads a month and thousands of brands worldwide using Cloud Custodian in production, the project continues to grow in popularity.
The momentum of Cloud Custodian was underscored by the success of Cloud Governance as Code Day. We had a tremendous response for the event, with over 2600 registrants from more than 50 countries. Attendees gave the event an average rating of 9.4/10. The event was popular on social networks, with the event hashtags listed among the 50 most popular hashtags at KubeCon. All these feats are a testament to the project’s success, the quality of the content presented by the speakers, and the Stacklet organizing team. A big thank you and congratulations to all the speakers and organizers who made this event happen.
In case you missed the talks or just want to have a look again, here are the key sessions and videos of the event:
- Welcome and Opening Remarks—Jorge Castro (Stacklet), Umair Khan (Stacklet)
- Keynote: Accelerating and Enabling Security for Innovation in the Cloud—Brian Lozada (CISO, HBO Max)
- Cloud Custodian: State of the Union—Jorge Castro (Stacklet), Kapil Thangavelu (Stacklet)
- Operating Cloud Custodian with Actionable Alerts at Zapier—Marcus Young (Zapier)
- Comparing Cloud Custodian With 15 Vendor Tools—Aakif Shaikh (Code42)
- Keynote: Making Governance Work in a DevOps World—Fireside Chat with Emily Freeman (Author DevOps for Dummies, Principal DevOps Solutions)
- Protecting Sensitive Cloud Infrastructure in Real-Time at Premise Data—Austen Novis
- Safe Policy Rollouts with GitOps—Sonny Shi
- Governing the Cloud Our Way: Operating Cloud Custodian at Scale at JPMC—Rajbir Sandhu, Roy Crowder
- Cloud Custodian & Microsoft Azure: To Do and Not To Do—Erin Welch, Kirill Logachev
- Pattern Filtering with Policies in Amazon EventBridge—John Hillegass
- Continuous Compliance with Cloud Custodian—Liam Randall
- Keeping Your AWS Management Cost Down With Cloud Custodian—Karl Fonseca
- Not Everything is a Nail: There’s More than a Hammer in the Cloud Custodian Toolbox—Liz Acosta, Jamison Roberts
Were you able to attend the event? Share your thoughts with #GoveranceAsCodeDay #CloudCustodian. Help us spread the word. Here is the link to the entire playlist.